So, I see the Sodastream Fizz has caught your eye. As the newest member of the Sodastream Home Soda Maker lineup, that’s not surprising but I’m guessing you are here because you are trying to determine if the Sodastream Fizz is all it’s cracked up to be. You’ll be glad you found my Sodastream Fizz Review when we’re finished today. There are a lot of misconceptions about the Sodastream Fizz and I’ll admit, I shared most of them until I got my hands on one and put the Sodastream Fizz to the test myself. I’ll bet you’re surprised by what I’ve learned.
Before we move on, I want to make sure you’re in the right place. There’s no point wasting time if you’re looking for different information than I’m about to provide. This page offers a detailed Sodastream Fizz Review. We’ll start with a short video on how to operate the Sodastream Fizz, move into a discussion about its unique Fizz Chip Technology, what’s included in the starter kit and the pros & cons. Next up is my no B.S. review of the Sodastream Fizz after putting it through the paces along with a few helpful tips. Finally, I’ll show you how to get the best price and FREE SHIPPING on the Sodastream Fizz in the color of your choice. We aren’t covering the more general aspects of the Sodastream Home Soda Maker line. Unless you’re looking specifically at the Sodastream Fizz, you might want to head over to my Sodastream Review page.
Important note: Before Leaving this page, make sure you read through my Sodastream Fizz Updates
Still with me? Good…let’s get started…
Sodastream Fizz Tip: I want to make sure you picked up on a couple of things from this Sodastream Fizz video. Did you notice how she pressed on the back lever of the Sodastream Fizz when attaching and detaching the bottle? If not, watch it again. This is important and if you don’t do this, you’ll likely be splattered with carbonated water when you detach the bottle. I also want to make sure you caught how she tilted the bottle when pouring in the Sodastream Syrup. Miss this step and you’re soda will create a fizzy mess!
Luke’s Rating for Sodastream Fizz:
Editor's Rating Style / Design Ease of Use Construction Quality Durability Perceived Value Average Rating
Sodastream Fizz – Fizz Chip Technology:
The Sodastream Fizz is the first in the Sodastream lineup to offer Fizz Chip Technology. This handy little chip adds a bit of convenience and information previously missing in other Sodastream models.
- Never Run out of C02: The “Fizz Chip” monitors the level of Co2 in the carbonator so you’ll never run out unexpectedly again. This item has been on the wish list of many Sodastream customers for quite some time and is a welcomed feature of the Sodastream Fizz.
- Monitors Carbonation Level of Beverages: As you press the carbonating button, the Sodastream Fizz monitors the level of carbonation you add to your drink. You’ll always know whether your drink has light carbonation, average carbonation or is highly carbonated. I must admit, however, I had to force myself to pay attention to this indicator while testing the Sodastream Fizz. As an experienced Sodastream user, carbonating the perfect beverage is second nature. I can see this feature being of benefit to a new user but suspect it will go ignored once one becomes comfortable with the unit.
Sodastream Fizz Home Soda Maker Kits Include:
- Sodastream Fizz Home Soda Maker
- 1 BPA Free Plastic Carbonating Bottle
- 1 60 Liter Carbonator (Co2 Cartridge)
- Easy to Use
- 5 Color Options (Red, Blue, Black, Green & Limited Edition Pink (Benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure))
- Convenient Access to Carbonator for Replacement
- Accommodates 60 Liter or 130 Liter Carbonator (Co2 Cartridge)
- Top Lever Easily Tilts Unit for Attaching/Detaching Carbonating Bottle
- Fizz Chip Technology Monitors Co2 Levels in Carbonator & Drinks
- Sturdy & Durable Design
- Make Sparkling Water & Soda in 30 Seconds or Less
- No Bulky Bottles or Cans to Store or Carry
- Dramatically Reduces Waste & Recycling
- BPA Free Carbonating Bottle is Safe for Children
- Tight Seal Keeps Drinks Fresh & Fizzy longer than Store Bought Brands
- Unit Includes Only 1 Carbonating Bottle (Additional Bottles Recommended)
- Plastic Carbonating Bottle Must be Hand Washed
- Carbonating Bottle must be Replaced Every 2 Years
My Sodastream Fizz Review:
- Only One Carbonator Included in Starter Kit
- Only One Carbonating Bottle
- Fizz Indicator Promotes Over Carbonating
While none of these are major issues with the product itself, they do cause me to drop my rating for the Overall Value of the unit. The good news is that with each update of this page, the list of desired improvements above becomes shorter. This tells us that Sodastream and Merchants are responding to consumer feedback and the product continues to improve. In earlier updates, we had very limited availability for the Sodastream Fizz, could only find the unit in limited colors, there were no free shipping options or value kits available. This is no longer the case and I can show you how to get free shipping for the Blue, Black, Green or Red Sodastream Fizz. I would strongly recommend picking up some extra carbonating bottles with your Sodastream Fizz. You can usually pick up a “twin pack” of SodaStream 1L Carbonating Bottles or 0.5 Liter Carbonating Bottles for under $20. The Stainless Steel SodaStream Bottle can typically be found for around $15.
Overall, I give the Sodastream Fizz high marks and a strong recommendation. I will continue to update this review as things change so my readers have the most up to date information.
Sodastream Fizz Update: 12/29/2011: I have received several email messages and a few comments below from folks that have defective Fizz Chips in their Sodastream Fizz. I made the decision to reach out to Sodastream directly to see if I could get some additional information and am pleased to report they replied promptly to my inquiry. Based upon the response I received, there are two known issues with the Sodastream Fizz.
- The battery in the Sodastream Fizz Chip may be depleted more quickly than Sodastream originally estimated. In what appears to be an extremely proactive approach to rectifying this issue, Sodastream began including a spare battery with each Sodastream Fizz package in Mid-October. Simply switching to the spare battery should resolve over 96% of the problems with a Fizz Chip that does not function properly.
- Sodastream has identified one lot of Sodastream Fizz Home Soda Makers that received a defective Fizz Chip. Sodastream has replacement Fizz Chips in stock and is shipping them Free of Charge to those that received a defective Fizz Chip. If you have replaced the battery and your Fizz Chip still does not function properly, simply call Sodastream at 1-800-763-2258 to request a replacement Fizz Chip. Your Sodastream Fizz will still work and carbonate beverages properly until your replacement Fizz Chip arrives. The only limitation will be that you are unable to view your CO2 consumption or Fizz Levels of your beverages until the Fizz Chip is replaced.
In any manufacturing process, you are bound to have defective units make it through production. How companies handle these problems tells us a great deal about the character of the company and whether or not you should choose to do business with them. Sodastream’s response to my inquiries makes it clear they stand firmly behind their products. The response was not only timely but detailed enough for me to provide you with the information above. Sodastream was under no obligation to provide such a response to me and the fact they did only strengthens my belief they are a reputable company. If you are experiencing problems with your Sodastream Fizz, you can call Sodastream directly at 1-800-763-2258 or e-mail them at email@example.com.
Sodastream Fizz Update: 01/18/2012: I have received a lot of email messages from Sodastream Fizz users with questions about how much carbonation they should use. In discussions with them, I have realized the Fizz Chip in the Sodastream Fizz seems to encourage users to use more CO2 than necessary when making beverages. For example, users have stated it can take in excess of 6 or 7 buzzes to get the Fizz Indicator to the Top Level. This may be what Sodastream Considers High Carbonation but in my opinion, it is excessive. Excess carbonation will not harm your Sodastream Fizz and it will not ruin your beverages. However, it can cause disappointment when you begin to realize how quickly the carbonator is depleted. If you get a Sodastream Fizz, I would recommend ignoring the Fizz Chip to start. Try carbonating your sparkling water or sodas to 3 buzzes and see what you think. You can always increase or decrease how much CO2 you use in your drinks but I would not rely on the Fizz Chip in the Sodastream Fizz. If you do decide to use the Fizz Chip as a guide, don’t be surprised if you only get 20 to 30 liters of sparkling water or soda from your Sodastream Fizz.
Sodastream Fizz Update: 02/06/2011: I am contemplating how to revise this Sodastream Fizz page. While I like the date stamp update format I have been using to address questions/challenges with the Sodastream Fizz as they arise, I am concerned that an anxious visitor might skip past these updates and make a hasty decision they may regret. Each interaction I have with a Sodastream Fizz owner and each call I make to Sodastream on behalf of my readers leaves me just a touch more skeptical about the quality of this Sodastream model. Here are my current concerns about the Sodastream Fizz:
Luke’s Concerns About the Sodastream Fizz:
- The Fizz Chip does not operate as Sodastream’s materials would suggest. The chip does not measure the amount of carbonation in your carbonator or in your drinks. Instead, it bases the display on the number of times you press the carbonating lever. This leads many Sodastream Fizz users to over carbonate their drinks and use more CO2 than is necessary. In addition, the Fizz Chip only provides a “rough estimate” of how much CO2 remains in the carbonator.
- While Sodastream claims the number of defective Fizz Chips is very low, I have been engaged by enough Sodastream Fizz owners to be concerned about the integrity of the chips. Sodastream is standing behind their customers and replacing all defective Fizz Chips in a timely manner but the need to replace defective parts is discouraging. I will continue to monitor this and update this page accordingly. On a positive note, I will say that Sodastream may be getting this problem under control. I have not received many e-mail messages about Fizz Chip problems recently but I question if this is due to Sodastream’s resolve in correcting the problem or the level of detail I am providing on this Sodastream Fizz page. Only time will tell us which it is.
- Sodastream can’t tell us what the expected battery life for the Fizz Chip should be. Sodastream has indicated that the batteries do not last as long as originally anticipated but we don’t have enough information to know how frequently the average Sodastream Fizz owner will need to replace their battery. While I consider this a very minor problem, it is still something a potential Sodastream Fizz customer should be aware of. Finally, based upon reports from visitors of this site, the batteries do not last very long at all and require frequent replacement.
I have adjusted my ratings for the Sodastream Fizz based upon these concerns to more accurately reflect my current opinion of this model. This drops my overall rating of the Sodastream Fizz to a 3.5 and more accurately reflects my concerns about Construction Quality and Durability. If your heart is set on the Sodastream Fizz, just take these concerns into consideration as you are making your decision. I also want to point out that my original statement about replacing my Sodastream Fountain Jet with a Sodastream Fizz is no longer true. Should my Fountain Jet finally die, I doubt the Sodastream Fizz would be my first choice from the Sodastream Home Soda Maker lineup.
I will eventually update this page and eliminate the updated sections above. However, I will not do this until enough time has passed to see if the problems related to the Fizz Chip have been solved and I have a better understanding of overall user experience. If you are a Sodastream Fizz user, please take the time to leave your own Sodastream Fizz Review using the user ratings and comments at the bottom of this page. The more feedback we can get from current Sodastream Fizz owners, the easier it will be for everyone to determine if this model is right for them. I aslo encourage Sodastream Fizz users that experience problems with their unit to comment below or use my Contact Me page to send me an e-mail message. I track all reports of problems, request clarification from Sodastream when necessary and report those findings here.
Sodastream Fizz Update: 09/27/2012: At this time, I am not recommending the Sodastream Fizz to visitors of this site (or to anyone else for that matter). For a while, I stopped getting private messages complaining of the Fizz and I mistakenly believed Sodastream must have addressed some of the problems with the Fizz Chip and the poor battery life. This does not seem to be the case and I’ve recently gotten many messages and some comments from folks that purchased a Sodastream Fizz prior to finding my site. These folks are reporting the same problems and I have formed the opinion Sodastream must not have addressed the problem. Unless you just have your heart set of the Fizz for the style and design of the model and are willing to accept the problems related to the Fizz Chip, I strongly recommend you consider another model in the Sodastream lineup. I am once again adjusting my ratings of this model based upon recent reports and lowering the overall score accordingly.
New Limited Edition Pink Sodastream Fizz:
Sodastream has announced a new partnership with Susan G. Komen For the Cure. As part of this partnership, Sodastream has designed and produced a brand new Limited Edition Pink Sodastream Fizz. Sodastream has pledged 5% of the cost of every Pink Sodastream Fizz will be donated to this wonderful foundation in support of early detection efforts and breast cancer research. Sodastream entered this partnership guaranteeing a $20,000 minimum donation to the foundation. If you would like to learn more, visit my new page for the Limited Edition Pink Sodastream Fizz.
Sodastream Fizz Value Kits:
Finally! Sodastream Value Kits are now Available for customers that wish to benefit from bundled savings over purchasing items individually. These kits include additional items such as Sodastream Sodamix samples, an extra bottle and extra carbonators. Many customers will find the Sodastream Fizz Value kits to be the best option for them.
- Sodastream Fizz Home Soda Maker
- 2 60 Liter Carbonators
- 3 Carbonating Bottles
- 6 Sodastream Sodamix Flavors (your choice) – Each Sodamix Bottle makes approximately 12 Liters of Soda
- Sodastream Sodamix Variety 12 Pack
This is likely the best kit option I’ve seen to date. You pick your color, select 6 Sodamix Flavors you want to try and everything you need to start enjoying your Sodastream Fizz is shipped in one convenient box.
- Sodastream Fizz Home Soda Maker
- 3 60 Liter Carbonators
- 3 Carbonating Bottles
- Sodastream Sodamix Variety 12 Pack
- My Water Flavor Essence Variety 3 Pack (Orange, Berry & Lemon Lime)
Don’t need a Sodastream Fizz Value Kit?
My Sodastream Review . com is targeted to those new to the Sodastream Home Soda Maker product line. If you landed on this page and happen to own a Sodastream Fizz, please take a moment to leave your Sodastream Fizz Review below. It is very easy to leave a review and will only take a moment. Just scroll the the bottom of this page, click on the ratings for your Sodastream Fizz and enter some comments in the form to tell us about you personal experience with the Fizz. Your review will be very helpful to others considering the Sodastream Fizz.