Luke’s Sodastream Fountain Jet Review:
|Style / Design|
|Ease of Use|
Most Sodastream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker Kits Include:
- Sodastream Fountain Jet Soda Maker (Red, Black or White)
- 1 BPA-Free Plastic Carbonating Bottle
- 1 60L Carbonator (Co2 Cartridge)
- Makes sparkling water or soda from tap water in 30 seconds or less
- Easy to Use
- No Cleanup
- No bottles or cans to buy or store
- Reduces waste and recycling of empty bottles and cans
- No Electricity Required
- Compact Design requires little storage/counter space (5.3″ W x 7.9″ D x 17.7″ H)
- 1-Liter BPA-Free Plastic Carbonating Bottle is safe for use by children
- Caps seal tightly keeping sparkling water and soda fresher than store bought equivalent
- Can accommodate the larger 130L Carbonator (Co2 Cartridge) – Sold Separately
- Carbonating bottle is not dishwasher safe and must be washed by hand
- Plastic carbonating bottles must be replaced every 2 years
- Sodastream Fountain Jet Starter Kit includes ONLY 1 Carbonating Bottle - Additional bottles recommended
- Sodastream Sodamix Flavors do not appeal to everyone
Here is a video review/demonstration by a Sodastream Fountain Jet Owner you may find helpful:
Sodastream Fountain Jet Tip: I always get a kick out of watching someone use a Sodastream for the first time. Tiffany did a pretty good job her first time through. Did you notice how she had the carbonating bottle slightly tilted as she SLOWLY poured in the Sodamix? If not, watch that again and pay close attention. This is exactly how you want to add the Sodastream Sodamix to the carbonated water. Not only does this technique help prevent dripping syrup down the side of the bottle but if you add the Sodamix too quickly, the carbonated water will bubble out of the bottle leaving you with a mess to clean up. You don’t need to shake the bottle quite as much as Tiffany did in the video. Gently turning the bottle over a few times does the trick.
My Sodastream Fountain Jet Review:
- Least expensive model but performs as well as more expensive models
- Compact design is perfect for office, boat, dorm room or RV
- Highly portable and can be easily taken along to a social gathering
- Durable construction has sustained abuse with no signs of wear
- Easy to use and maintain
- Consistent Performance
- Can accommodate 60 Liter or 130 Liter Carbonator
The Sodastream Fountain Jet does have some drawbacks that some of the other more expensive units do not.
- You must press and hold the lever on the front of the unit to screw on the carbonating bottles. This is easily overcome for most people and becomes second nature after a few uses. It could, however, present a problem for those with limited coordination or arthritis in their hands.
- The Sodastream Fountain Jet is rather compact in size but the construction of the unit gives it a clunky and awkward feel.
- BPA Free Plastic bottles are not dishwasher safe and must be hand washed but this is not an issue in the office where there is no dishwasher.
- Design of the Sodastream Fountain Jet is not as appealing as other units.
Here is what other Sodastream Fountain Jet users are saying:
Love It! by Carb101: “I hesitated for months before buying this product, and I am glad that I did. I’m not interested in making sodas with it, only fizzy water, which it does admirably. I fill the bottles using the filtered water from my refrigerator. One bottle is carbonated while the other one is chilling. (It does carbonate quickest when the water is refrigerated first.) I live in a large city, and there’s no trouble getting refill cartridges. The only reason I am not giving it a 5 star review is because I find it slightly awkward to screw the bottle into the sodastream for carbonation. It’s definitely a two handed operation.” – see original review here
All it claims to be and more! by Levine: “This product is a rare one. It is all that it claims to be. It works. Each and every time. No odd behaviors, no exploding bottles, and no trouble getting supplies, or refills. Just clean crisp carbonated water in less than 30 seconds. It is so easy and so good that even a caveman could do it…don’t be put off by the negative reviews of the assorted flavors. I tried the Root Beer, the Diet Cola, the Pete’s Choice (like Dr. Pepper® / Mr. Pibb®), the Ginger Ale, and the Orange. The only one I don’t like is the Diet Cola and that’s because I don’t like Diet Cola. Each of the Sodamix flavors are spot on and very tasty…If you are pro-soda, pro-carbonated water, pro-earth, pro-economy, buy this thing! It is as close as anyone has ever come to a PERFECT PRODUCT. Thank me later!” – review condensed to save space – read full review here
One of my favorite kitchen gadgets by John A: “It’s not for everyone…You really have to think about how much you drink sodas or carbonated drinks, how picky you are about flavors, and if you put a premium on the recycling/green aspect of the device…I mostly just drink carbonated water, although I do like the syrups as well…I’ve been happy with all the flavors I’ve tried, I also like using natural fruit juices…For me, the deciding factor didn’t come down to money but it was more of the recycling/green aspect…being someone who paid $1/day for a can of soda at the office, the sodastream has long ago paid itself off.” – review condensed to save space – read full review here
Skeptic proven VERY wrong by B. James: “My wife wanted this for her Birthday about 6 month ago. I thought it would be a complete waste of money – something we’d add to the pile of rice steamers and veggie juicers in the basement. I purchased this for her and we now BOTH use it ALL THE TIME…The machine is idiot proof and very sturdy, the C02 containers are easy to exchange through the company’s website or in our local stores and the flavors (which I was most critical of before purchasing) are all fantastic. I personally recommend the diet soda and diet root beer…I also like that this company only sells products sweetened with Splenda® – no aspartame…I should mention something I consider most important: Everyone who is a guest in our home now gets to make their own soda when they come over (any flavor they like). It is a HUGE hit and a real conversation starter. After trying ours, at least 10 of our friends have purchased this in the last 3 months and all of them use the machines consistently. I would highly recommend you try this product…you’ll save money and feel good knowing you are using one of the few green, sustainable products on the market.” – review condensed to save space – read full review here
I am sure you noticed that for the most part, I included only positive reviews above with a few negative comments on some things you need to be aware of. More than any other Sodastream model, the Sodastream Fountain Jet has some negative reviews. At the time of this writing, there are currently 153 customer reviews for the Sodastream Fountain Jet. 85% of those reviews are 5 Star Reviews, 14% are 4 Star Reviews, 10% are 3 Star Reviews, 5% are 2 Star Reviews and 14% are 1 Star Reviews. Although my personal experience and the experience of those I know that own a Sodastream Home Soda Maker has been mostly positive, I felt a responsibility to go through the negative reviews to determine why they were there.
A good majority of the negative Sodastream Fountain Jet reviews center around three things:
- Disappointment in the Sodamix Flavors: Sodastream does a pretty good job of labeling their products and making sure you know even the Regular Sodastream Flavors contain Sucralose (Splenda®). This is how they offer full flavored regular soda with so few calories and less sodium than regular cola. If, you are adamantly opposed to the use of artificial sweeteners, Sodastream Sodamix is not for you and you may prefer the new all natural Sodastream Sparkling Naturals. If you are very particular and are only happy with your favorite brand of soda, you should give serious thought before expecting Sodastream Sodamix to please you. I personally believe the Sodastream Sodamix flavors are very good. There are even a few I like better than their brand equivalent. The fact they contain Sucralose (Splenda®) is a bonus for my family as Splenda® is the only artificial sweetener we use. I go into much greater detail on my Sodastream Sodamix Review page with some additional tips on how to make the best possible soda with your Sodastream. If you have any concerns about using Sodastream Sodamix, make sure you read my Sodamix Review. (Note – If you do not reside in the United States or Canada: Aspartame is used in some countries. You may wish to confirm the artificial sweetener used in your area prior to purchasing.)
- Poor understanding of the product limitations: I have to chuckle when I read negative reviews from folks that were expecting to buy a Sodastream to re-carbonate their flat soda or carbonate juice, wine and even milk (yes, someone was angry because they couldn’t carbonate milk). I will admit that when I first heard of the Sodastream, I too thought of carbonating my favorite wine and juice. However, my research quickly revealed that this should not be attempted. If I had missed it, somehow, the instructions you receive in the box clearly state you shouldn’t. In fact, you will void your warranty if you do.
- Difficulty finding Carbonator (C02 Cartridge) exchange/refill locations: Depending on your market, you may or may not have a difficult time exchanging your carbonators locally. In my market, I have several options but yours may be different. You should take the time to visit Sodastream’s site to see what your local market is like. You can do that by using the Where to Buy tool. If do not have a local retailer participating in the carbonator exchange, you may participate in the Sodastream Carbonator Exchange program. You can learn more by reading my recent post, Sodastream Begins Shipping via UPS.
The bottom line is that you owe it to yourself to make an informed decision. To date, I have yet to meet someone that made an informed decision to embrace the product and was unhappy with their decision.
Sodastream Fountain Jet Value Kits:
There are a couple of nice Sodastream Fountain Jet Value Kits available. The additional items included in these value kits offer a $10 savings over purchasing the items individually. For this reason, the Sodastream Fountain Jet Value Kit may be the best option for some customers.
Sodastream Fountain Jet Seltzer Value Kit Includes:
- Sodastream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker
- 3 60 Liter Carbonators
- 3 BPA Free Carbonating Bottles
- Sodamix Variety Pack
- MyWater Flavor Essence 3 Pack
- Sodastream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker
- 2 60 Liter Carbonators
- 3 BPA Free Carbonating Bottles
- 6 Sodastream SodaMix Flavors (Your Choice)
- 1 Sodastream Sodamix Variety Pack
Don’t need the Sodastream Fountain Jet Value Kit?
Thanks for visiting MySodastreamReview.com. I hope you have found all the information you were looking for. If you have not already done so, please visit my Sodastream Review page for a more in-depth review of the product as a whole. You may also want to visit the Sodamix page to make sure you’ll be happy with the Sodastream flavors available. If you have Sodastream Fountain Jet specific questions that were not answered above, please feel free to leave a comment below or Contact Me. I will do my best to provide you with answers or point you in the right direction. Best wishes and good luck in your new Sodastream Fountain Jet adventure.
Leave Your Sodastream Fountain Jet Review: Do you own a Sodastream Fountain Jet? If you do, please take a moment to leave your own Sodastream Fountain Jet Review for others to read. Just scroll to the bottom of this page, rate your Fountain Jet by clicking on the stars for each rating, enter some comments about your Sodastream Fountain Jet experience and hit submit. It only takes a few moments but your Sodastream Fountain Jet Reviews could help someone else decide if the Sodastream Fountain Jet is right for them.