Obviously you’re here because the Sodastream Penguin has somehow landed on your radar and you’re trying to determine if it is worthy of your attention or potential investment. Thank goodness you’ve found my Sodastream Penguin Review.
We are going to take a detailed look at the Sodastream Penguin Home Soda Maker along with the pros and cons of the unit itself. Before we move on, I just want to make sure you’re in the right place. Each Sodastream Home Soda Maker has the same basic function, general features and similar benefits. We aren’t going to cover the general stuff here. If that’s what you’re looking for, you might want to head over to my Sodastream Review page.
If you’re still reading, I’m going to assume you are interested specifically in the Sodastream Penguin. We are going to kick off this Sodastream Penguin Review with a quick Sodastream Commercial that features the Sodastream Penguin. This will give you a general idea of how the Sodastream Penguin works. Next, we’ll look at the Pros and Cons followed by a Video Review, My Personal Review after using the Sodastream Penguin for close to two years and what other Sodastream Penguin users think. Keep an eye out for the tips I’ve scattered across the page. Finally, I’ll show you where you can buy the Sodastream Penguin.
Luke’s Sodastream Penguin Review Ratings:
|Style / Design|
|Ease of Use|
The Penguin Starter Kit Includes:
- Sodastream Penguin Home Soda Maker Unit
- 2 Dishwasher Safe 650 ML (20oz) Glass Carafes with Fizz Preserving Stoppers
- 1 Refillable 60 Liter Co2 Cartridge (Carbonator)
- Easy & Fun to Use
- No Cleanup
- Turns tap water into sparkling water/soda in less than 30 seconds
- No more lugging bulky bottles or cans
- No more bottles or cans to recycle or throw away
- No Batteries or Electricity required
- Earth Friendly Manufacturing Process does not use any materials that produce BPA, Phthalates or PCBs
- Beautiful and Stylish design compliments any decor
- Only Model with Solid Plastic & Metal Construction
- Glass carafes are placed into the flask rather than screwing to the unit as required by other Sodastream models
- Elegant cut-glass carafes are great for serving and entertaining guests
- Glass Carafes are dishwasher safe
- Glass Carafes will last forever with proper care
- Tight Hermetic Seal keeps soda fresher than store bought soda
- Sodastream Penguin Kit comes with an extra Carbonator (CO2 Cartridge) which saves you the expense of purchasing a spare ($29.99 value)
- 18″ Height May Not Fit Under All Kitchen Cabinets (note: my Sodastream Penguin measures 17.5″ high from counter top to highest point but Sodastream references 18″ on their site so this is the measurement we’ll use. Clearance height when open is a full 21.5″)
- 620ml (20oz) Glass Carafe is smaller than the 1 Liter Plastic Bottles of other models
- Price Tag may scare off some consumers
- Sodastream Sodamix flavors may not appeal to everyone
Here is a quick video review of the Sodastream Penguin you will find helpful:
Sodastream Penguin Tip: The plastic caps/stoppers used with the glass carafes are wonderful. However, they are susceptible to wear and tear if you are not careful. I have found that by holding the bottle in one hand with your finger firmly pressing the black lip of the cap tightly against the bottle while tightening/removing the cap with your other hand prevents this from happening. Also, be careful not to over tighten the cap or you risk damaging it.
Why I love the Sodastream Penguin:
With over two years of continuous use and abuse, my Sodastream Penguin is still my favorite model in the Sodastream lineup. This is mainly due to:
- Extremely Easy to Use & Maintain
- Fast & Easy Carbonator Replacement (Open cover, remove old carbonator, screw in new carbonator and close the cover – it’s that easy)
- Stylish Design
- Beautiful Contoured Dishwasher Safe Glass Carafes that Complement ANY Table Setting
- Sturdy Stainless Steel & Plastic Construction
- Glass Carafes are placed INTO the unit rather than screwed on
- Consistent and Flawless Performance
Every Sodastream Penguin owner I have talked to just loves their little Penguin and I have to agree with them. This is just an excellent unit and far more attractive than some of the other models. There really isn’t much I can find fault with in this unit but there are a few of things that could be improved.
- The motion of closing the curved horn (machine head) and locking it into the stainless flask takes a bit of getting used to. Sodastream could improve the unit by making the motion a touch more fluid. After a few uses, however, this motion becomes second nature and rarely enters your mind.
- I am one that likes to sanitize everything that I can in the dishwasher using a high-heat sanitizing cycle. The glass carafes do just fine but the sanitizing cycle of our dishwasher wears out caps. We no longer have any of the original caps but we did have some that lasted well over a year. Other caps wore out in about 6 – 8 months. Once the plastic caps have been compromised, the lip will split if over tightened. This could be avoided if we hand-washed our caps but I would rather replace the caps as they wear out than hand-wash them. You can usually find the Sodastream Glass Carafe Closure in packs of two for around $5.00.
- The glass carafes sometimes drip down the side of the bottle when pouring. Unfortunately, I don’t see a way Sodastream could improve this without compromising the integrity of the hermetic seal. If forced to choose between fresh fizzy beverages and an easy pour spout, I’ll pick freshness every time.
- For the price of the Sodastream Penguin Starter Kit, I would like to see more included in the starter kit. Something as simple as one extra cut glass carafe would be all I need to raise my “Perceived Value” rating from a 4.5 to 5 stars.
- For some reason, Sodastream has changed their sales strategy for the Sodastream Penguin so that it is now available exclusively at Williams-Sonoma. We are lucky enough to have a Williams-Sonoma here but not everyone does. I expect this will discourage some folks from purchasing the Penguin. You can locate the store closest to you with this Williams-Sonoma Store List.
If you plan to take your Sodastream with you to the office, in the RV or on family vacations, the Sodastream Penguin may not be your best choice. This is the largest and heaviest model in the Sodastream line of soda makers. If you want a model that is easy to transport, you might want to take a look at the Sodastream Fountain Jet, Sodastream Genesis or Sodastream Pure. These models are a bit easier to transport, which is why I chose the Sodastream Fountain Jet for use in the office and family vacations.
Overall, I give the Sodastream Penguin high marks and a strong recommendation. We have used our Sodastream Penguin very heavily, have not always been gentle and it shows no signs of wear. I expect the Sodastream Penguin will last for years to come. The Sodastream Penguin performs exceptionally well so you can make your sparkling water or soda with confidence knowing it will turn out perfectly every time. The design of the unit lends itself to quick efficient use allowing you to make delicious sparkling water and soda very quickly. It is certainly much easier than lugging heavy cans and bottles from the store that consume tons of storage space. Add in long term cost savings and a positive environmental impact and the Sodastream Penguin wiggles its way into your life quickly securing itself a permanent place in your home.
Sodastream Penguin Tip: Always keep your Sodastream Penguin dry on the inside. Over carbonating beverages and quickly pressing the release button can cause carbonated water to fizz or splash out of the cut glass carafes. When this happens, simply take a paper towel and wipe out the horn and flask of the Sodastream Penguin to keep it clean and dry. By following this simple tip, your Sodastream Penguin will always be clean and ready for use.
Here is what other Sodastream Penguin users are saying:
Perfect Sodamaker by S: “I own both the low end version and the Penguin. The Penguin wins hands down.” – Review condensed to save space – Read Full Review with additional Pros & Cons Here
Easy and Fun by Mary Anne: “I love the product. It is easy to use and my family can’t get enough. My only complaint is that the bottles are very small. Two of them are not enough for my family…Everyone loves the taste. And I like having the ability to control how carbonated I want the water to be. – Review condensed to save space – Read Mary Anne’s Full Review
Wonderful Product by Charlotte W: The price is a bit high but it’s a wonderful product in every way. I fist saw its “sister” product at a friend’s house and thought the sparkling water was very refreshing and wanted one for myself. I was delighted when I discovered the Penguin and its glass carafe. I’ve always loved sparkling water but gave up buying it because it always went flat before I could finish it but now, I can make a carafe whenever I want it. The Penguin is a bit large but it’s sleek whimsical design is great to look at and easy to use. A great feature of the Sodastream Flavorings is that they have no corn syrup and you CAN taste the difference. The initial cost of the Penguin is a bit high but it’s a wonderful product. – Review paraphrased – Read Charlotte’s Full Review
Neat product if you can get the canisters locally by Mediahound: “This is a neat product and it works well. I like that it uses glass bottles instead of plastic ones like on lower end models. The C02 seems to last quite a long time…The fizzy water out of this is just as good to me as a Pellegrino®…If you have to mail-order the canisters from Sodastream, don’t bother.” – Review condensed to save space – Read Mediahound’s Full Review
Sodastream Penguin Tip: You can check to see where Co2 Refills can be found in your local by clicking Where to Buy.
Great easy to make seltzer by G. G. T: “I’ve had mine a couple months now and I love it. No more buying bottles of seltzer that run out of fizz 2/3 of the way…and no plastic bottles to worry about…I get 50 bottles from each Co2 cartridge. If you screw the top down tight, they retain their fizz but it isn’t necessary to make ahead of time since it is so quick and easy to do…The pro’s vastly outweigh the con’s” – Read GGT’s Full Review with additional Pros & Cons and a recipe
Fantastic Gadget Exceeds Expectations by C. Vincent: “What a wonderful addition this is to my kitchen. It is extremely easy to set up and use and produces wonderful sparkling water…My husband that does not like store bought fizzy water loved this…The cap on the glass bottle has to be secured properly, but with a little practice, this is accomplished easily and really seals in the fizz…All in all a wonderful product. I love the glass bottles…It is much better than store bought fizzy water and much healthier than high fructose corn syrup sodas…Highly recommend all the way around! This is a fantastic product that I think will really catch on with many carbonated beverage lovers…Did I mention, this is great for the environment too.”- Read C. Vincent’s Full Review with additional tips
Sodastream Penguin Value Kits:
There used to be some great value kit options available for the Penguin but Sodastream recently made the decision to discontinue selling the Sodastream Penguin on their site. They have eliminated the value kits as an option and the Sodastream Penguin is now sold exclusively at Williams-Sonoma.
If you have not already done so, please take some time to read through my Sodastream Review page for a more in depth review of the Sodastream Home Soda Maker product as a whole. If you still have questions after reviewing this page or have Sodastream Penguin specific questions not answered above, please feel free to comment below or Contact Me privately. I will do my best to answer your questions and/or point you in the right direction. I wish you the best of luck in your new Sodastream Penguin Adventure.
Leave your own Sodastream Penguin Review: If you own a Sodastream Penguin, please take a few moments to leave your own Sodastream Penguin Review Below. Leaving your own review is easy and only takes a few moments. Just scroll down to the very bottom of this page below the comment form, click on the ratings to rate your Sodastream Penguin, enter some comments to tell us about your Sodastream Penguin experience and hit submit. The Sodastream Penguin Reviews submitted by visitors of MySodastreamReview.com will help others determine if a Sodastream Penguin is right for them.