Obviously, you’ve landed on this page because you are interested in the Sodastream Home Soda Maker and are trying to find an honest and comprehensive Sodastream Review. Perhaps you have heard about the Sodastream Home Soda Maker and think it might be fore you. Perhaps, you’ve heard some of the positive aspects of the Sodastream but have also heard some of the negative aspect as well and are trying to figure out the truth about Sodastream. A Sodastream Home Soda Maker could be a wonderful addition to you life but the product is not without its flaws. You’ll need to look at it carefully to determine if a Sodastream Home Soda Maker is worth your investment. Have no fear, you’ve come to the right place but I have to warn you; this this Sodastream Review is not for the faint of heart. We are going to cover every detail of Sodastream’s claims…the good, the bad and the ugly. If you’re not up to it or are just looking for an overview, I suggest you go back to the Home Page for a brief Sodastream Review or refer to a model specific Sodastream Review for Sodastream Penguin, Sodastream Crystal, Sodastream Fizz, Sodastream Pure, Sodastream Genesis or Sodastream Fountain Jet.
If you’re still with me, I assume you are a bit like me and want all the details before making any decisions or pulling out your wallet. Now that we’ve established you are in the right place, let’s get this Sodastream Review started!
For those new to the Sodastream Home Soda Maker products, let’s start this Sodastream Review by watching a quick Sodastream commercial to gain a better understanding of the product. If you’ve already seen some Sodastream commercials, you can skip this part.
“The revolutionary home soda maker that lets you turn water into fresh sparkling water and soda in seconds with no cleanup…Sodastream will completely change the way you and your family enjoy soda and sparkling water forever.”
Do the claims in the Sodastream commercial above sound too good to be true? I thought so too!! The fastest way to get me to walk away from a product is to throw infomercial like marketing campaigns my way. When I saw this was the approach Sodastream was taking, I was immediately skeptical. The Sodastrem sounds wonderful and being a huge fan of soda, and an open-minded person, I decided to continue with my Sodastream Review to see if the Sodastream Home Soda Maker lived up to Sodastream’s claims.
Sodastream boasts the following: Sodastream Review – Sodastream Reviews
- Turn water into sparkling water and soda in seconds
- “Keeps drinks fresh and fizzy longer than store-bought bottles”
- No Cleanup
- No Electricity
- No toting bottles and cans from the store
- No storage space required
- No “empties” to recycle or throw away
- Earth Friendly
- Save Money
- Quick & Easy to Use
- Large variety of regular and diet flavors
- Fewer Calories & Less Sodium than regular soda
- No high-fructose corn syrup
- No Aspartame (NutraSweet®)
Attention Visitors outside the U.S. & Canada: Aspartame is used in other countries. You may wish to check ingredients in your country prior to purchase.
The product sounds great. It is certainly an intriguing concept and something most families could benefit from but the only way for me to know for sure was to find the product. This is where my first challenge began. Finding an objectively written Sodastream Review was difficult enough but I wasn’t prepared for difficulty in finding the product locally. There didn’t seem to be a single store that had a unit I could touch and inspect. Several stores had a display playing the same infomercial I had already found but this wasn’t what I needed. I also had an extremely difficult time finding a selection of models. It seems most retailers only carry one model along with accessories, Co2 Cartridges and Sodamix. If I already had a Sodastream, there were plenty of places to get supplies but finding a unit became a task. Retailers explained kits flew off the shelves and sold out quickly when new shipments arrived. They had plenty of everything else but there was apparently a high demand for kits in my area. Fortunately, I lucked into a retailer demonstrating the Sodastream Genesis. This was my chance to inspect and sample the product to determine if a Sodastream Review was even necessary.
The Sodastream Review process begins:
I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. The unit seemed to function exactly as promised. The product specialist showed me and the gathering crowd exactly how the machine worked. Its simple design and function made it easy to use. The Sodamix flavors were not exactly like the comparable brand but were close and some were even better. The Sodamix flavors would not be an issue for me. The first major benefit I noticed is that the consumer has the ability to control exactly how the soda turns out. Here is a quick little video that shows you the basics of how the machines work.
Some Immediate Benefits You’ll Notice: Sodastream Review - Sodastream Reviews
- You Determine Level of Carbonation: If you like your drinks highly carbonated, just hit the button more. If you like your drink less carbonated, just hit the button less.
- You Determine the Flavor: The Sodastream Sodamix Bottle looks like a mini laundry detergent bottle. The cap has two lines on the inside that help judge how much syrup to use. You are in complete control of the flavoring. Use more or less at your discretion. You can even mix Sodastream Sodamix Syrups if you like. I tried this with the Diet Cola and Cola Free syrups and loved the result. If you don’t like using the Sodamix, you can make your own using homemade soda recipes or healthy fruits and juices to make your own natural & healthy sparkling water and soda…but we’ll get into that more on my Sodastream Sodamix page.
I liked the demonstration well enough to purchase the product, give it a try and perform my own Sodastream Review. Unfortunately, I was more interested in the design aesthetic and features of the Sodastream Crystal and Sodastream Penguin. I asked the Product Specialist where I could locate them but there were none available locally. I would have to order online if I wanted it quickly. The family voted on the Sodastream Penguin and we placed our order. More details on the Sodastream Penguin are available on my Sodastream Penguin Review Page.
My Sodastream Review after continuous and extensive use:
Sodastream made several claims about their product. Let’s start the formal Sodastream Review by breaking them down and seeing how the Sodastream Home Soda Maker stacks up against the manufacturer’s claims.
- “Keeps drinks fresh and fizzy longer than store-bought bottles”: I’ve got to give Sodastream this one. All bottles have a nice seal that keeps your drinks fresh. I have yet to have a bottle of soda go flat.
- No Cleanup: Technically, you can just rinse out your bottles and move on. I prefer to wash my bottles. My Sodastream Penguin uses glass bottles which, I wash and sanitize in the dishwasher. It was my main motivation in looking at the Sodastream Crystal and Sodastream Penguin. I blame it on my mild tendencies to be a bit obsessive compulsive about cleaning and sanitizing anything that comes in contact with food or drink. My Sodastream Fountain Jet, however, has plastic bottles I must wash by hand. I get Sodastream’s point but as with any product, there is some cleanup involved but it is very minimal.
- No Electricity: This is absolutely true. There is no electricity required. The carbonation takes place by pressing the button or lever releasing the Co2 for carbonation. The fact no electricity is required allows you to place the product anywhere you want.
- No Toting Bottles/Cans & Storage Space: Obviously, this is true but you don’t realize how much you’ll appreciate not having to pick these items up any longer. It just seems like grocery shopping is easier. You’ll also appreciate the additional storage space you gain by eliminating these items. I currently store 10 different flavors in the space two 2-Liter bottles used to occupy.
- No Empties to Recycle or Throw Away: I did not realize how much of our weekly recycling came from the beverages we consume. We used to set two large overflowing recycling bins on the curb every week. Now, we don’t even fill one. The Sodastream Sodamix bottles are fully recyclable and biodegradable. Carbonators are refillable and can be exchanged at a participating retailer. I know it is hard to believe but the reduction in waste is amazing!
- Earth Friendly: I think this is a bit of a judgment call. If you really want to analyze this, you need to know the resources consumed in the manufacturing process and what it would take to offset that. With that said, however, it seems logical to me that the product is truly Earth Friendly as the manufacture states. My family’s waste/recycling reduction alone is quite significant as noted above. The manufacturer states one 60L carbonator is equivalent to 170 cans of soda (30 2-Liter bottles). They state the 110L carbonator is equivalent to 310 aluminum cans (55 2-Liter Bottles). The carbonators are 100% recyclable and reusable. The carbonator exchange program encourages green behavior by saving you money over a non-exchanged replacement and the exchange program is extremely easy to use. In my humble opinion, the product is very Earth Friendly.
- Save Money: This is another subjective area and greatly depends on what type of soda you purchase, the price you pay, if you waste any flat soda and how carbonated you like your beverages. Here is how I looked at the cost for my Sodastream Review. My family purchases 2-Liter bottles for the most part. In my market, we pay on average $1.89 per 2-Liter bottle of brand name soda and $0.79 for store brand soda. The 60L carbonator costs me about $15 in the exchange program which breaks down to $0.25 per Liter or $0.50 per 2-Liter (huge savings for sparkling water drinkers). The Sodamix ranges in price from $4.99-$9.99 depending on where you get it and the flavor. My family mostly uses flavors at $4.99 per bottle but I used $5.00 in my calculations. Each Sodamix bottle makes approximately 12 Liters, which equates to approximately $0.42 per Liter or $0.83 per 2 Liters. This makes the total cost for me $1.33 per 2-Liter bottle of soda made with Sodastream Sodamix. This is less than brand name soda but more expensive than store brand soda. With that said, how many times have you chugged down flat soda? If you are like my family, that flat store bought soda typically gets poured down the drain. I personally HATE flat soda. I will not drink it. For me, the value in always having a perfectly carbonated and flavored soda with no waste adds tremendous value to the product. The hermetic seal on the Sodastream caps and bottles do a great job of keeping your sparkling water and soda fresh. I have yet to have sparkling water or soda made with my Sodastream go flat. My family saves money. Your family may be different. We also save money by using fresh fruit and fruit juice to make our own flavored sodas. You’ll be surprised how much you use a Sodastream Home Soda Maker for your own custom beverages once you have one. PLEASE NOTE: Your cost will vary depending on how carbonated you make your water and how much Sodamix you use.
- Quick & Easy to Use: Absolutely, it doesn’t get any easier. It’s also fun and a huge conversation starter when you have guests in your home. I can’t tell you how many fun conversations began by someone noticing our Sodastream Penguin. Guests love making their own soda in their choice of flavors and many have purchased a Sodastream Home Soda Maker after using ours. Convenience is also a major benefit of the product. There is nothing more convenient than having the ability to create your own perfectly carbonated beverage from a variety of Sodastream Sodamix flavors without consuming tons of storage space.
- Large Variety of Flavors: The Sodastream Sodamix brand currently offers 21 Regular Flavors, 17 Diet Flavors and 4 Flavor Essence options for sparkling flavored water. Sodastream also launched a new line of flavors called Sparkling Naturals, which offers 8 additional All Natural Flavors with no artificial sweeteners. This combined with the fact that you can make your own natural soda using fresh juices and natural flavorings means your options are limited only by your imagination. Variety of Flavors? Absolutely!! However, using Sodastream Sodamix is not for everyone as ALL Sodamix in the U.S. & Canada contains Sucralose (Splenda®). Sodastream gets a lot of negative criticism for this. Sodastream’s Sparkling naturals offer an alternative for those interested in a more natural alternative and you can always use homemade soda recipes to make your own flavors. If you have any concerns about the Sodastream Sodamix, I strongly recommend you visit my Sodastream Sodamix Review page before purchasing a Sodastream Home Soda Maker.
- Fewer Calories & Less Sodium than Regular Soda: Per their websites, Pepsi & Sierra Mist both have 100 Calories and 20mg of Sodium per 8oz serving. Coca Cola contains 170 calories and 55mg of Sodium while Sprite has 100 calories and 45mg of Sodium. The Sodastream Syrups definitely have fewer calories (averages 35 calories) but the sodium content varies by flavor and may/may not be less than what you are consuming today.
- No High-Fructose Corn Syrup & No Aspartame (NutraSweet®): If you took note of the nutritional label to the right, you probably noticed that there was no High-Fructose Corn Syrup. The regular flavors use a combination of Sugar and Sucralose (Splenda®). This is how Sodastream offers a full flavored cola with so few calories. The diet flavors use Sucralose (Splenda®) as the only sweetener. Those of you that refuse to use artificial sweeteners will likely find this to be a deal breaker. You can still enjoy the Flavor Essences and the Sparkling Naturals line of flavors but many folks fault Sodastream for their approach to sweeteners. Of course, there is always the option of making your own all-natural sodas with the carbonated water created by the Sodastream Home Soda Maker and a little imagination. For my family, the use of Sucralose (Splenda®) was a bonus. This is the only artificial sweetener we use. You can learn more about the Sodastream Sodamix along with tips to get the best results on my Sodamix page. (Note to visitors outside the United States & Canada: Aspartame is used in other countries. You may want to check ingredients in your country.)
Wow! That is a lot of information to take into consideration. Would you believe we aren’t quite done yet? There is still much to cover in this Sodastream Review and there are more Sodastream Review pages to view.
Before we move on with my Sodastream Review, I wanted to give you something amusing as a reward for sticking with me. I learned about the Sodastream Home Soda Maker when I received a call from a friend asking for a Sodastream Review. How I went through life without knowing this product existed still amazes me. I had originally assumed this was a new infomercial product that would quickly fade. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Sodastream actually dates back to 1903 according to their website, is sold in 41 countries and has been quite popular in the International Market for some time. During my research, I stumbled across some older commercials that gave me a chuckle. I thought I would share a couple of them with you here. – Sodastream Review – Sodastream Reviews
Now you have “Get Busy with the Fizzy” stuck in your head, don’t you? I’m sure I’ll get some hate mail from a few people but come on; you had to chuckle, right?
Overall, I highly recommend this product. Our family has been very pleased with our Sodastream Penguin. It has lived up to all of its promises and I couldn’t be happier. I was so happy with it that I purchased a Sodastream Fountain Jet for use at the office. To date, I have yet to meet anyone that made an educated decision to purchase and was unhappy. I do, however, believe it is important to match the model to the needs of your family. I also believe that where you purchase your product is very important. Sodastream seems to make no bones about the substantial shipping charge applied when you order directly from them. They even go so far as to display a comment in the shopping cart stating you can avoid shipping charges by shopping elsewhere. For example, Sodastream was going to charge me $29.00 just to ship our Sodastream Penguin. NO THANKS! I kept shopping and ordered our Sodastream Penguin with FREE Shipping and it arrived in just under a week. The shipping times I have experienced when ordering Sodamix directly from Sodastream has varied wildly. I have experienced delays up to 5 weeks (during inventory) to my most recent shipment arriving in under a week. I typically just exchange my carbonators and purchase most Sodastream Sodamix locally. For those items I can’t get locally, I order from a trusted online retailer.
Sodastream Review Update: Sodastream has switched to using UPS for all shipments of their product. Since this change took place, feedback from other customers is that the shipping times have dramatically improved with some customers reporting receiving their order in just a couple of days. I will continue to monitor this feedback and update my Sodastream Review accordingly.
My Sodastream Review Recommendations - Sodastream Reviews
If you would like to own a Sodastream Home Soda Maker of your own, I recommend the following:
- Do your research and determine which model is best for you. I have personally conducted a hands on sodastream review of all models except the Sodastream Crystal and offer a detailed Sodastream Review for the Sodastream Crystal, Sodastream Fizz, Sodastream Fountain Jet, Sodastream Genesis, Sodastream Penguin and Sodastream Pure. I also have a Sodastream Dynamo Deluxe page with as many details as I can provide but until I put it through the test, I’m not about to call it a full Sodastream Review. Each of my Sodastream Review pages contain a detailed sodastream review of each model’s features & benefits, Pros & Cons of each model, a video demonstration/review and additional reviews by other customers. In addition, I also provide the bundled purchasing options available, how to get the best price and free shipping options when available. All the information you need to make an informed and educated decision is contained within this Sodastream Review site. For those of you that are more visual, here is a chart showing the ratings for each of the Top 5 Sodastream Models based upon an average of my Sodastream Review ratings (Editor’s Ratings) and the ratings from Sodastream Reviews submitted by other MySodastreamReview.com visitors:
Sodastream Penguin Review
Sodastream Pure Review
Sodastream Genesis Review
Sodastream Fountain Jet Review
Sodastream Fizz Review
|Style / Design|
|Ease Of Use|
|Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
- Order your product from a trusted online retailer. This will save you the aggravation of finding the different models locally. If you are lucky enough to stumble upon the model of your choice, by all means, snatch it up. If not, purchase from a respected online retailer that can facilitate the processing and shipment of your Sodastream Home Soda Maker in a timely fashion without overcharging for shipping. As I have mentioned in this Sodastream Review, I was able to order the Sodastream Penguin with FREE Shipping. Bonus!
- If your starter kit does not come with Sodamix (and most don’t), I recommend ordering some. If you are not sure which Sodamix flavors to try, add a Sodastream Sodamix Variety 12-Pack to your order. They are inexpensive and offer samples of the 12 most popular regular and diet flavors. Our Sodastream Penguin did not come with this but a Genesis we gave some friends did. Our friends said they thoroughly enjoyed trying all the different Sodastream Flavors and fell in love with some they never would have tried otherwise. You can learn more about the Sodastream Sodamix Syrups on my Sodamix Review page.
- Don’t forget to add in any additional accessories you may need. Some items, like additional Sodastream Glass Bottles can be a bit challenging to find locally. If you are ordering a model that uses the plastic bottles, these are much easier to find.
- If your kit does not come with a spare carbonator, you should strongly consider picking one up. These carbonators last for quite some time depending on your daily use and the carbonation level you prefer but once they run out, they simply run out. It is very handy to have a spare on hand to simply replace it and exchange the empty the next time you are out running errands. The SodaStream 60-Litre Carbonator typically sells for $29.00 on average without going through the exchange program and fits all models. The larger SodaStream 130-Liter Carbonator sells for $49.99 on average without an exchange and fits ONLY the Sodastream Fizz, FountainJet, Edition 1 and Dynamo units.
Sodastream Review Tip: If you are considering the 130L Carbonator, you should be aware that most participating retailers do not participate in the exchange program for these carbonators. You will most likely have to exchange these through Sodastream’s carbonator exchange program.
- You will want to identify a local retailer where you can purchase Sodastream Sodamix that ALSO participates in the Carbonator Exchange program. You can do that by using this Where To Buy Link. The exchanges are very simple, you just walk up to the counter, hand them your old Carbonator and they give you a certified refilled Carbonator for $14.99 + Tax (60L Carbonator).
- Finally, you might want to consider looking into some homemade soda recipes to take your Sodastream experience to a whole new level. These recipes can be a bit difficult to find but you can check out my Homemade Soda Recipes page for a review of an excellent book that offers plenty of quick, easy and delicious recipes.
Whew! Did you think you would ever get through my Sodastream Review? I know I thought I would never finish writing it. Thank you for taking the time to visit my site today and read my Sodastream Review. It is my hope that my Sodastream Review site provides you with all of the information you could possibly need to make an informed and educated decision regarding your potential purchase.
Bonus Sodastream Review Tip: Clean, fill and store your Sodastream Bottles in the refrigerator so you’ll always start with cold water. We fill our Sodastream Glass Bottles as soon as they come out of the dishwasher and store them in the refrigerator. If possible, use filtered water from your refrigerator or use an inexpensive pitcher water filter. This eliminates much of the dissatisfaction from using tap water when making sparkling soda/water with your Sodastream Home Soda Maker. For more tips on making the best possible sparkling water and soda, visit my Sodastream Sodamix page.
There are Sodastream Value Kits options available that can save you between $10 to $20 and include additional items such as extra bottles, carbonators and/or Sodastream Flavors. Depending on your need, these may be your best bet. CLICK HERE to see the Sodastream Value Kit Options Available.
Don’t need a value kit? CLICK HERE to get FREE SHIPPING on the Sodastream Penguin, Sodastream Crystal, Sodastream Pure, Sodastream Genesis, Sodastream Fountain Jet or Sodastream Fizz in Black, Blue, Green, Red or Pink
From here, I recommend you take a look at the Sodastream Review for each model that interests you. You will notice additional tabs at the top of the page for each Sodastream Review. Or you can click on one of the Sodastream Review links below.
- Sodastream Crystal
- Sodastream Dynamo
- Sodastream Fizz
- Sodastream Fountain Jet
- Sodastream Genesis
- Sodastream Penguin
- Sodastream Pure
- Compare Sodastream Models
- Homemade Soda Recipes
If you have a question that was not answered here, please feel free to leave a comment below or Contact Me privately. I will do my best your questions or point you in the right direction. Please read the Sodastream Review material I have provided before submitting a comment/question. Thanks again for taking the time to visit MySodastreamReview.com – The Sodastream Review Site.
Note: This Sodastream Review site is targeted towards those new to Sodastream Products. If you landed on this page and own a Sodastream Home Soda Maker of your own, please visit the Sodastream Review page for your model and leave your own Sodastream Review.